Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Verbs - from M

I wake up almost every morning feeling normal. Before I try to move and discover I can't, I think about what I would like to do today if ALS was just a dream.

Here's today's plan:

I will ROLL OVER on my side and CURL UP in a fetal position for a minute, then JUMP (really) out of bed. Both feet on floor, I will RAISE BOTH ARMS over my head, look up at the ceiling and STRETCH my back. I will STANDUP HUG Bill with 2 arms for a long time. CALL my whole family to come home. I will GO POTTY all by myself. BRUSH my teeth STANDING in the shower with hot water pounding on my head. RUB lotion all over me. DRY my hair, BRUSH it one hundred times and maybe PAINT my face a bit. DRESS in tight blue jeans and a not-stretchy shirt and relish every ZIP SNAP and BUTTON. PULL on my socks and my cherished cowgirl boots. I will HUG Bill again and PLAY-GALLOP to the kitchen. POUR a cup of coffee and HOLD the mug in two hands. COOK and EAT runny eggs and crunchy toast. DRINK a glass of water. I will CALL some of the people I love and TELL them I love them.  Bill and I will WALK around and look at the outside of the house and hold hands.  I will PLAY the piano and KNIT for five minutes.   I will DRIVE too fast with the windows open and WCPE playing too loudly on my way to meet Deede at a restaurant on Person Street for pork-belly sandwiches. I will go home to HOLD my family. KICK the ball with Cole. CHASE Beckett. PLAY hide and seek. Ask lots of questions. SQUIRT shaving cream in the air. FLY airplanes and RUN kites down the street. TALK about stuff. ROLL in the grass and HUNT for bugs. WASH my hands with hot soapy water. HUG. KISS. SNUGGLE.  SING Cowboy Joe with Catron and Phoebe. For hours. Family dinner date. I will DRINK a dirty martini. Order caprese salad, veggie pizza, sea bass, roasted Brussels sprouts, popcorn, hotdog, cashews and bacon. I will EAT as much as I can.  Another martini. More I love you calls. Then home with my family to SIT in my Mama's old chair with somebody else and laugh and TALK and TELL stories until my day is almost over. I will HUG and SAY I love you one hundred more times. Then I will CLIMB in bed unassisted, put my head on Bill's shoulder and go to sleep. I'll wake up in the morning and wonder what I would like to do today.

ALS kills motor neurons.
It also kills VERBS.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful words. Beautiful dreams. From a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words always shake the tears right out of me. Love,light,courage,hope, and thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You,Bill and the other B's are always in my thoughts and prayers. We continue to pray for a miracle. We love you! This blog will resonate in my thoughts as I Think of you. Bad ALS.....Go away!

    ReplyDelete